Govhack 2022 entry for Alternate transport challenge:
How can we make NSW a cycling-friendly state?
❔ Problem Statement
Currently NSW is not a particularly cycling-friendly state. From the NSW Active Transport : Cycling; Sydney Cycling Survey of 2011 and Sydney Cycling Survey of 2012, we can see across both years that about 40% of respondents last rode a bicycle in the previous year, signifying that nearly half of the population do not ride a bicycle regularly. 60% of respondents mainly ride bicycles for social/recreational purposes, with only roughly 30% of people taking essential trips (work, education and shopping) with a bicycle.
In contrast in the Netherlands - a country known for being extremely cycling-friendly - more than one-quarter of all trips made by Dutch residents are traveled by bicycle. Nearly 60% of trips are for essential travel (work, education and shopping). These figures are taken from the report here.
With the above statistics in mind, we've identified that we can make NSW a more cycling-friendly state through the following areas of improvement:
- Improve the number of new cyclists in NSW
- Make it easier for the residents of NSW to make essential travel with bicycles as opposed to other modes of transportation
Cycl is an app that aims to help people cycle around NSW with ease, and encourage more people to pick up cycling.
Cycl uses a mix of currently available open data and crowd sourced data from cyclists and the NSW community to achieve the goal above.
- Route suggestions are based on
- Recommending beginner leisure/scenic routes for beginner cyclists to get them into the habit of cycling
- Community building through recommending group cycling sessions for people looking for cycling buddies
- Recommending facilities and points of interests for cyclists along their cycling route, such as cafes, bike storage areas, water fountains etc
- Data and user feedback gathering that can be fed back to the local government to
- Report infrastructure defects (eg. broken streetlights, potholes) to increase time to fix
- Create new cycleways based on popular cycling routes
- Identify and uncover new trends in cycling behavior
- Provide requested cycling facilities based on user feedback
User Journey and Demo
Checkout the user journey and demo here
We are releasing this code under MIT license and all content under the Creative Commons license.
We used the Sydney Cycling Survey 2011, Sydney Cycling Survey 2012 and Cycling Facts 2018 - Netherlands to define the problem statement, goal, and drive feature development of Cycl.
We then used the Infrastructure Cycleway Data to drive route suggestions in Cycl, as well as to inform cyclist of cycling facilities along their ride.
We will also be using crowd sourced data for the feature in our app.